The day after the last blog was written, I woke up and had
some delicious Mango Sticky rice, it was a perfect breakfast. No offense to
Ryan, but this was a lot better.
We didn’t really have a definite plan for the day because we
had gotten a taxi for the next day to take us to see all the really cool stuff.
So, we just started walking down a road that we hadn’t been down yet, and
eventually came to a museum that Sis. Peterson wanted to look at. She went in
to have a look while Elder Peterson and I continued through an awesome
real-life neighborhood to a temple at the top of the hill.
I think that was the most I’ve sweat since coming here. The temple at the top wasn’t that impressive,
but the view was great. There was a really nice old lady at the top who didn’t
speak any English, but was still nice enough to get us the cold water from the
other cooler instead of the stuff sitting out on her table.
We were pretty exhausted after the hike, so we went down
road a little further for some lunch. We chose ‘The Pizza LuangPrabang.’ All I
needed was a cold 7up because I was still full from breakfast. Right after
lunch, I went off to find a place to stay that night, and managed to find one
for about $7.50, with no air-conditioning this time, but that wasn’t a huge
deal. The mosquito net was fine. Elder Peterson had already gone for a massage,
and once I got settled in the new place, I went too. How can you refuse a
60-minute traditional Lao massage for $5?
We met up for dinner and then headed up to the night market.
There’s hundreds of tents set up with people setting up all their things out on
mats. Some of them are really hand-made with the people working on them right
there, and others are the more general made-in-china and shipped in to sell.
The prices are very flexible, but it takes a lot of work to get a price down
when you’re white. We came back the next night too, and I think everyone ended
up happy with what we got.
There's also a little side street with a bunch of people selling food:
We met up early the next morning for our ride out to the cave
and waterfall. It’s pretty hard to describe how beautiful it was, so hopefully
the pictures will give you some idea, even if it’s not even close to what it’s
actually like there. Swimming under the waterfall was one of the greatest
things I’ve ever done, and the view of the main drop is probably the most
beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. There’s a trail that goes up to the very top of
the falls, but right as I started up someone on their way down said the view
wasn’t really worth it. So instead I just went up a little way, got my fill of
shirtless-barefoot jungle trekking (including using a vine to help myself down
the slope).
On the way back into town, we stopped at 2 villages of
mountain tribes. The first was a Khmu village. That brought back so many memories
of my mission because most of the Lao members in Richmond are Khmu. Sis.
Peterson bought a woven fish-trap, and I got a little stool that I’ll hopefully
be able to fit in my luggage on the way home.
A little further down the road we stopped at a Hmong village.
All along the little trail there were little girls selling little hand-made
trinkets. Some of them spoke Lao. None of them spoke English except for the
phrase: “You can buy one five-thousand” which they sang (Hmong is a very tonal
language) while waving their hands up and down over the stuff they were
selling.
After we got back, I was off to find another place to stay,
so I tried next door to the last place. This one was only $6.50, and it had a
TV and air-conditioning. We ended up at the night market again because Sis.
Peterson wanted to get some scarves for her family. I think I’m getting better
at talking prices down, I got a pretty nice pair of pants and the shirt to go
with it for $6.50.
The next morning I got up and walked around the other half
of the city that I hadn’t seen yet, and then it was back to the Peterson’s
hotel for the ride back up to the airport.
No comments:
Post a Comment