The bus ride to Chiang Mai was pretty long. First a tuk-tuk
from the hotel I got picked up at to the bus station (which was actually a lot
closer to my house than the hotel was), then an over-packed bus out of Laos,
across the bridge, and into Thailand to Udon Thani. From that bus station, we
had to get on another tuk-tuk to a different bus station for (another hour wait
and finally) the overnight bus to Chiang Mai. Thankfully there was a group of
three good-humored and hung-over British guys that had booked through the same
company who were there for me every step of the way. I started getting a sore
throat on the bus, which turned into a cold the next day. I think it’s probably
because the air-conditioning was so high for the whole ride. We got in at
around 9:30 am, and Sister Siriphan came to pick me up at the station.
After re-cooperating, doing some laundry and calling Mom, we
drove out to a market and then to the church. A real church building with a
sign. A sign that just says the name of the church and not ‘Deseret
International Charities.’ After running in to use the restroom and seeing two
of the Sister Missionaries that I worked with in the MTC, I walked across the
street to a pretty big temple. Pretty similar to the temples in Laos, but
bigger, and fancier, and this one had a living monk sitting and meditating with
all the statues. The only way you could tell that he wasn’t one of the statues
was because he wasn’t covered in gold. I don’t think he moved the whole time I
was there.
I wandered around the old city a little and picked up some
tourist flyers once I found out that we’d be staying until the end of English
class. During English class (after I saw another Sister that I worked with in
the MTC) I was companions with one of the Elders who was meeting the new English
students before they started class. I had been struggling all day to switch
back into Thai from Lao, so it was nice to talk about church things for a
while. I could actually understand everything that was going on.
Wednesday: I had arranged with my friend Erin who was in the
MTC at the same time as me to go mountain biking with one of the tourist
companies that supplied all the equipment. Erin is in Chiang Mai doing summer
research with BYU’s international studies program. Mountain biking was awesome
and just challenging enough to not be boring. I was a little worried at the
beginning, but it got much better as we continued. By the time we got back from
that we were both exhausted, so we only lasted a few minutes walking around the
city before splitting up and going home.
Thursday: Erin actually had to do some work, so I booked one
of the favorite touristy tours of Chiang Mai, and Elephants are now officially
my favorite animal. We started with white (brown)-water rafting while we watched
the elephants on the shore. (They were all carrying tourists on their backs, it
wasn’t really like a safari at all.)
We drove back down to a central camp area, and then we had
our turn on the elephants. I think the most exciting part of the ride was when
we were almost back one of the other elephants—chained to a post—came up and
head-butted my elephant’s rear end. It was enough to make the whole animal rock
back and forth. Once we were finished, the guide directed me to walk right
behind one of the elephants (within a few inches) back around to the bridge. All
he said was “Be careful the elephants.”
After the elephants, my tour included a zip-line course
right around the same area. There were about 9 zip-lines and 3 rappels. On the
second and third rappels I clipped in on my back and went face-first, and did
the same thing on the last zip-line across the river. Much more fun that way.
I walked around the city for a while after getting back, and
on the truck/bus on the way home I started talking to a couple of the people.
One of the older ladies liked me so much that she invited me to her house for
dinner and paid for me to take the truck home.
And now I’m on the train back to Bangkok. Just a few more
days and I’ll be on a plane (or stuck in an airport) on the way home!
… after ‘a few more days’ and the update is that I’m stuck
in my fourth airport: LAX. But at least the wifi is free here so I can update
you all on my life.
I was only in Bangkok for one day, which I spent at the
giant weekend market. On Saturday evening, I was invited to go to lopburi for
church so I could see the monkeys there. So I went. I didn’t realize it was
about a two-hour drive, but seeing the monkeys was fun. They’re kind-of a mix
between stray dogs and pigeons: They sit around and eat your garbage. The
difference is that the monkeys will come take the garbage away from you.
I didn’t go to bed on Sunday night; instead I went to the
airport around midnight to wait for my 5am flight. We were worried that there
wouldn’t be any taxis at 2:30. I got on the flight, I was just sitting in the
airport for a long time.
In Tokyo, all of the flights to the continental United States
were really full, but there was a flight to Honolulu that had plenty of
openings. A fourteen hour layover in Hawaii didn’t seem too bad, so I got on
with them (BUSINESS CLASS BABEEEYYYYY!). I didn’t realize that the 50+ standby
passengers got on the same one.
In Hawaii, I went to the beach with Adam (another
unfortunate standby passenger), rented a surfboard, and got completely
sunburned. I was back at the airport in time for the flight to SLC, which was
full. So, I switched over to the flight to Seattle (which I was only 3 people
away from getting on to), and ended up spending the night in the Honolulu
airport. That would have been fine, except that I had a bad sunburn on my back,
and the security lady made me move twice for cleaning. Miraculously I made it
on to the flight to LAX in the morning (I think I was the last standby who made
it), and now I’m here waiting to get to SLC before Boise (which isn’t looking
too good right now…)
No comments:
Post a Comment